Donald Trump has revoked Secret Service protection for former vice-president and 2024 Democratic presidential nominee Kamala Harris, according to a memorandum obtained by CNN and confirmed to the Guardian by a senior White House official.
The letter, dated Thursday and addressed to the secretary of Homeland Security, instructs the Secret Service to “discontinue any security-related procedures beyond those required by law” from 1 September 2025.
Federal law grants former vice-presidents six months of protection after leaving office. For Harris, that period expired on 21 July. However, her security had been extended by a directive signed by then president Joe Biden before leaving office, granting her protection for an additional year. Trump’s order rescinds that extension.
“You are hereby authorised to discontinue any security-related procedures previously authorised by Executive Memorandum, beyond those required by law, for the following individual, effective 1 September 2025: Former Vice President Kamala D. Harris,” the memorandum reads.
The Secret Service declined to comment.
Kirsten Allen, a senior adviser to Harris, said the former vice-president “is grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety”.
California governor Gavin Newsom was briefed on the decision on Thursday, according to CNN. His office did not comment on alternative arrangements but criticised the move. “The safety of our public officials should never be subject to erratic, vindictive political impulses,” a spokesperson said.
The mayor of Los Angeles, Karen Bass, also condemned the revocation, calling it “another act of revenge following a long list of political retaliation in the form of firings, the revoking of security clearances and more”. Harris, who resides in Los Angeles, could receive protection from local law enforcement.
“This puts the former vice-president in danger and I look forward to working with the governor to make sure Vice President Harris is safe in Los Angeles,” Bass said.
The decision comes as Harris prepares for a nationwide book tour to promote her forthcoming memoir 107 Days, which recounts her presidential campaign. The book is due to be published on 23 September.