Author: New Daily Prime

Houthi supporters chant slogans during a weekly anti - Israel rally in Saana, Yemeni (AP News)

By Eniola Amadu The prime minister of Yemen’s Houthi government, Ahmad Ghaleb al-Rahwi, and several ministers died in an Israeli airstrike on the capital, Sanaa, the head of the Houthi Supreme Political Council confirmed on Saturday. The strike marked the first Israeli operation to eliminate senior figures of the Iran-aligned group since the Gaza war began. READ ALSO: UK bans Israel officials from major arms fair Council leader Mahdi al-Mashat said a number of others were wounded in Thursday’s attack but gave no further details. Israel had earlier stated that the strike targeted the Houthis’ chief of staff, defence minister, and…

Read More
Chicago's Mayor (Source: CBS News)

By Eniola Amadu Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson on Saturday signed an executive order designed to protect residents’ rights as federal agents prepared to deploy to the city within days. The directive, titled the Protecting Chicago Initiative, instructed all arms of the city government to safeguard residents from federal actions. READ ALSO: Trump signs executive orders to end cashless bail It also made clear that Chicago police would not cooperate with federal agents, requiring officers to appear in uniform and without masks to ensure transparency. “We have not called for this. Our people have not asked for this. Nevertheless, we find ourselves…

Read More
Nasir El-Rufai , formal governor of Kaduna State

By Ismaeel Aleem The Kaduna State Police Command has launched a full investigation into a political meeting allegedly linked to former governor Nasir El-Rufai, which reportedly descended into violence and sporadic gunfire. Police described the incident as a breach of public peace, noting that the gathering, held under the banner of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) Coalition, took place without prior notification to security agencies. READ ALSO: El-Rufai warns ADC vanguard against fake statements, demands immediate stop DSP Mansir Hassan, the Police Public Relations Officer, said preliminary findings suggested that “political gangsters and thugs” loyal to the former governor fired shots…

Read More
Alejandro Garnacho

By Boluwatife Kehinde Alejandro Garnacho completed a sensational move to Chelsea, signing a seven-year deal that will keep him at Stamford Bridge until 2032. The 21-year-old winger arrived at Chelsea’s training ground on Friday after the Blues agreed a £40 million ($54m) fee with Manchester United. The two Premier League rivals finalised the agreement on Thursday. Garnacho expressed his delight at the transfer, citing Chelsea’s recent FIFA Club World Cup triumph as a major motivation. READ ALSO: Chelsea paired with Barcelona, Liverpool face Real Madrid as UCL draw confirmed “It’s an incredible moment for my family and me to join this…

Read More
Bruno Fernandes and Bryan Mbeumo celebrating their goals

By Boluwatife Kehinde Manchester United ended their winless Premier League run after Ruben Amorim guided his side to a dramatic 3-2 victory over newly promoted Burnley at Old Trafford on Saturday evening. The result brought relief following two league games without a win and a shock Carabao Cup exit to Grimsby Town in midweek. United started brightly and benefited from good fortune when Burnley midfielder Josh Cullen turned the ball into his own net midway through the first half. READ ALSO:  DJ Cuppy says she looks fresher after quitting Manchester United stress But Amorim’s men failed to build on their dominance,…

Read More
President Mahmoud Abbas (Source: Reuters)

By Eniola Amadu  The United States has refused to grant visas to Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas and dozens of other Palestinian officials, preventing them from travelling to New York for next month’s United Nations General Assembly. At the assembly, several U.S. allies are expected to formally recognise Palestine as a state. A State Department official confirmed yesterday that visas would be denied or revoked for Abbas and about 80 members of the Palestinian Authority (PA) and the Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO). READ ALSO: Trump revokes secret service protection for Kamala Harris Abbas had been slated to address the General Assembly…

Read More
Ukrainian Ex-Speaker: Andriy Parubiy (Reuters)

By Eniola Amadu  Former Ukrainian parliamentary speaker Andriy Parubiy was shot dead in the western city of Lviv on Saturday, prompting a nationwide manhunt for the gunman. The Prosecutor General’s Office said the attacker fired multiple shots, killing Parubiy instantly before fleeing the scene. He was 54. READ ALSO: Russia accuses Ukraine of nuclear plant drone strike Parubiy, who served as parliamentary speaker from 2016 to 2019 and earlier as secretary of Ukraine’s National Security and Defence Council, was a prominent leader of the 2013–14 Euromaidan protests that pushed Ukraine closer to the European Union. He also played a key role…

Read More
Wike’s aide responds to Governor Makinde over PDP zoning comments.

By Ismaeel Aleem  The Oyo State Government has denied allegations by the All Progressives Congress (APC) that Governor Seyi Makinde’s administration secured a fresh N300 billion loan, describing the claims as “mischievous” and “reckless.” In a statement signed by Sulaimon Olanrewaju, Special Adviser on Media to the governor, the government clarified that no new loan was taken. Instead, the Oyo State House of Assembly approved N149 billion for refinancing existing debts, replacing older, costlier loans with more favourable terms to ease repayment burdens and N151 billion for infrastructure investments and contractor financing. READ ALSO: #300bn loan: Oyo assembly lawmakers slam APC’s…

Read More

By Ismaeel Aleem  Former President Goodluck Jonathan has refuted claims that he has abandoned ambitions to contest the 2027 Nigerian presidential election, labelling such reports as false and misleading. His cousin, Azibaola Robert, clarified on his verified Facebook page that Jonathan has not ruled out a potential run, dismissing speculations attributed to a non-existent aide. “The story is completely false. Former President Jonathan never said he would not contest in 2027,” Robert stated, adding that while Jonathan has not formally declared his candidacy, he remains open to the possibility. READ ALSO: ADC criticises PDP’s 2027 zoning as tactic to lure Obi,…

Read More
The 23-man squad

By Boluwatife Kehinde Stanley Nwabali has been named in Nigeria’s 23-man squad for the upcoming 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifiers, despite lingering doubts over his fitness. The Super Eagles will face Rwanda and South Africa in early September, with the Nigerian Football Federation unveiling the squad on Thursday. READ ALSO: Stanley Nwabali suffers injury ahead of crucial World Cup qualifiers Nwabali, who impressed during the Africa Cup of Nations, is joined in goal by Adeleye Adebayo and Amas Obasogie, strengthening the team’s defensive depth. In attack, forwards such as Christantus Uche — recently linked with Wolverhampton Wanderers — and Tolu Arokodare…

Read More