The Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) has put on hold its planned nationwide strike scheduled to begin on January 12. The decision was announced on Sunday in a statement signed by Shuaibu Ibrahim, secretary general of the association. NARD had earlier declared the strike following resolutions reached at its emergency national executive council meeting held on January 2. However, on January 9, the national industrial court in Abuja issued an interim injunction restraining the association and its members from embarking on any form of industrial action. In the latest update, Ibrahim said the suspension followed another emergency national executive…
Author: Damilola
The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has said only President Bola Tinubu has the authority to remove him from office, dismissing calls by critics demanding his sack. Wike spoke on Sunday during a thank-you visit to Obio Akpor local government area of Rivers state, where he met with party leaders, traditional rulers, women, and youths. Addressing the gathering, the former Rivers governor said those calling for his removal were wasting their time, as the decision rests solely with the president. “Don’t bother about people who say ‘sack him.’ If my appointor believes I cannot offer anything…
The Rivers State House of Assembly has raised the alarm over what it described as “secret plots” to unlawfully secure court orders aimed at stopping the legislature from performing its constitutional duties. In a statement released on Sunday by Chairman of the House Committee on Information, Petitions and Complaints, Enemi George, the Assembly had received intelligence indicating that “certain persons” were planning to procure restraining orders from some high courts within the state but outside the Port Harcourt judicial division. According to the lawmakers, those allegedly behind the moves are fully aware of the constitutional provisions governing legislative affairs and…
Former minister of information and culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, has said his appointment into President Muhammadu Buhari’s cabinet in 2015 was not accidental but the outcome of long-standing trust, shared beliefs, loyalty, and consistent service. Mohammed, who served as information minister for nearly eight years, made this known in his book, Headlines and Soundbites: Media Moments that Defined an Administration. The book was presented in Abuja on December 17, 2025, a date chosen to mark what would have been Buhari’s 83rd birthday. It documents Mohammed’s experiences and reflections from his time in office under the late president. He recalled that…
Governor of Rivers, Siminalayi Fubara, has said he remains calm amid the political tensions in the state because he believes God is on his side. Fubara made the remarks on Sunday at an interdenominational church service held to mark the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day. The service took place at St Cyprian’s Anglican Church in Port Harcourt, the Rivers state capital. After prayers were offered for Fubara and Ngozi Odu, the deputy governor, the governor was invited to address the congregation. However, he asked his deputy to step forward and speak on his behalf. In a light-hearted moment, Fubara told…
Popular fuji musician and Olori Omooba of Ijebu land, Alhaji Wasiu Ayinde, popularly known as KWAM1, has written Governor Dapo Abiodun of Ogun State, accusing authorities of sidelining him in the ongoing process to select the next Awujale of Ijebu land. KWAM1 alleged that the Fusengbuwa ruling house, which is next in line to produce the Awujale, has taken steps that violate the Chieftaincy Declaration and the Obas and Chiefs Law of Ogun State, with the intention of preventing him from contesting for the throne. The claims were contained in a letter dated January 8, 2026, written by Ayinde’s lawyer,…
The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has filed a lawsuit against the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) over its alleged failure to account for N55.9 billion allocated for the purchase of election materials for the 2019 general elections. In a statement issued on Sunday by its deputy director, Kolawole Oluwadare, SERAP said the funds were meant for the procurement of smart card readers, ballot papers, result sheets, and other election materials. The organisation said the allegations are contained in the latest annual report of the Auditor-General of the Federation, published on September 9, 2025. According to SERAP, the suit,…
Nigerian novelist and public intellectual, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, has accused Euracare Hospital in Lagos of medical negligence following the death of her 21-month-old son, Nkanu Nnamdi. Nkanu, one of Adichie’s twin boys, died on Wednesday after suffering complications during a medical procedure at the hospital. In a statement that surfaced on social media on Saturday, the author said her son’s death was avoidable and blamed what she described as “criminal negligence” by medical staff at Euracare. According to Adichie, the family had travelled to Lagos for the Christmas holidays when the toddler developed symptoms that initially appeared to be a…
Venezuela has confirmed it has begun discussions with the United States on re-establishing diplomatic relations, just days after US forces removed Nicolas Maduro from power. The move signals a shift toward cooperation following Maduro’s capture and US President Donald Trump’s declaration that he was now effectively “in charge” of the oil-rich South American nation. Officials in Caracas said American diplomats had arrived in the Venezuelan capital to explore reopening the US embassy, while Trump in Washington held talks with oil executives on gaining access to Venezuela’s vast crude reserves. Foreign Minister Yvan Gil said the government of interim President Delcy…
In a wide-ranging interview with The New York Times published on Thursday, United States President Donald Trump suggested Washington might launch additional military strikes in Nigeria if attacks on Christian communities do not stop. Trump was asked whether the U.S. military operation on December 25 — carried out against Islamic State militants in northwest Nigeria and presented by Washington as targeting extremists at Abuja’s request — was the start of a larger campaign. He replied: “I’d love to make it a one-time strike… but if they continue to kill Christians, it will be a many-time strike.” The Christmas Day raid…










