Author: Damilola

Reads when he's not writing.

abduct village head, kill brother in Kwara State attack

The United States has denounced the deadly assault on communities in Kaiama Local Government Area of Kwara State, as varying casualty figures from the incident continue to fuel outrage at home and abroad. Although the Nigerian Police Force said 75 people were confirmed killed in the attack on Woro and Nuku communities, local accounts and international observers have suggested the number of victims may be far higher. In a statement posted on X on Friday, the US Mission in Nigeria described the violence as “horrific,” noting that more than 160 people were feared dead, with many others still missing. “The…

Read More
SERAP

A former British building contractor has told a London court how his company renovated and managed high-end properties allegedly used by Nigeria’s former minister of petroleum resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke, as her bribery trial continues at the Southwark Crown Court. Alison-Madueke is standing trial alongside Olatimbo Ayinde, an oil executive, and Doye Agama, her brother, on five counts related to the alleged receipt of bribes. All three defendants have pleaded not guilty. On the fifth day of proceedings, Tony Mulcahy, a former director of Bear Rock Construction Ltd, gave evidence that his firm undertook extensive refurbishment work between 2011 and 2014…

Read More

A 59-year-old man who planned to assassinate President Donald Trump at his Florida golf course in September 2024 has been sentenced to life imprisonment, just weeks after the plot was uncovered ahead of the US election. Ryan Routh was convicted in September of attempting to kill Trump, who was then the Republican presidential candidate. The case marked the second assassination attempt against Trump in the tense months leading up to the election that ultimately returned him to the White House. At Wednesday’s sentencing, Judge Aileen Cannon imposed a punishment of life in prison plus an additional seven years, following a…

Read More
NNPC confirms it will not sell the Port Harcourt Refinery and plans to raise funds to complete its rehabilitation.

The Group Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC), Bayo Ojulari, has described the Dangote Petroleum Refinery as a vital stabilising force in Nigeria’s energy sector, especially as the national oil company grapples with difficulties running its ageing refineries and meeting local fuel demand. Ojulari made the remarks on Wednesday in Abuja during a fireside chat titled “Securing Nigeria’s Energy Future” at the Nigeria International Energy Summit 2026. He said the operation of a functional, large-scale local refinery has eased the pressure on NNPC to ensure uninterrupted fuel supply across the country. According to him, the…

Read More

A former chairman of the now-defunct Pension Reform Task Team (PRTT), Abdulrasheed Maina, has been admitted to a hospital in Abuja after he reportedly collapsed on Tuesday. Emmanuel Nweke, his media assistant, said the incident occurred just outside Maina’s office. According to him, Maina lost his footing while trying to enter the building, struck his head on the staircase and passed out. Maina’s health had been a recurring issue during his trial. At one point, he was brought to court in a wheelchair by prison officials, prompting the court to order a medical assessment by senior correctional authorities. In December…

Read More
Nigerian Senate in session debating security reforms and the Safe School funding probe.

The Senate on Tuesday initiated steps to alter the 1999 Constitution to allow the Federal Government receive a bigger portion of funds from the Federation Account, citing the growing burden of national responsibilities shouldered by the centre. The move comes against the backdrop of renewed arguments over fiscal federalism, as labour unions, civil society organisations and opposition voices have questioned why increased allocations to states have not resulted in better living conditions for Nigerians. At present, the revenue allocation formula gives 52.68 per cent to the Federal Government, 26.72 per cent to the 36 states and 20.60 per cent to…

Read More

A Nigerian socialite, identified as Nzube Henry Ikeji, has been accused of impersonating the Crown Prince of Dubai to allegedly defraud a Romanian businesswoman of more than $2.5 million through a romance and humanitarian investment scam. The allegation is detailed in an investigation by the Organised Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP), which traced the scheme to an online interaction that began about three years ago. According to a documentary published by OCCRP, the Romanian woman, identified as Laura, was first contacted on LinkedIn by an account claiming to belong to the Dubai Crown Prince. The impersonator reportedly expressed interest…

Read More

A member of the United States House of Representatives, Riley Moore, has held talks with Caleb Mutfwang, governor of Plateau state, during the governor’s ongoing trade and security visit to the United States. The meeting centred on expanding collaboration between Nigeria and the US, particularly in the areas of security, economic growth and broader bilateral relations. Moore described the engagement as constructive and forward-looking, noting that both sides explored ways to strengthen ties between the two countries. “It was an honor to meet with the governor of Plateau state in Nigeria, Caleb Mutfwang, yesterday. We had a meaningful and productive…

Read More
Ganduje

A Kano State High Court has fixed April 15 for the continuation of the trial of Abdullahi Ganduje, former governor of Kano State, and seven other defendants over allegations of large-scale misappropriation of public funds. Ganduje is standing trial alongside his wife, Hafsat Umar, and his son, Abdullahi Umar, on an 11-count charge bordering on conspiracy, bribery, diversion and misappropriation of public funds running into billions of naira. Other defendants in the case include Abubakar Bawuro, Jibrilla Muhammad, Lamash Properties Ltd, Safari Textiles Ltd and Lasage General Enterprises Ltd. When proceedings resumed, the prosecution informed the court of its readiness…

Read More

The Central Bank of Kenya (CBK) has cautioned the public against the growing practice of using banknotes to make decorative cash bouquets, warning that it constitutes defacement of the national currency and could attract stiff penalties. Valentine’s Day is celebrated annually on February 14. In a statement issued on Monday and shared on its official X account on Tuesday, the apex bank said anyone found guilty of the practice could face up to seven years’ imprisonment under existing currency laws. The trend, which has become increasingly popular in recent years, involves folding and rolling banknotes of various denominations and arranging…

Read More