Author: Alade Adisa

The Ogun State House of Assembly has approved the 2025 Appropriation Bill, amounting to N1,054,542,020,147, which had been presented by the state governor, Dapo Abiodun 20 days prior. The approval included minor adjustments to recurrent expenditures across 21 agencies, as well as slight modifications to the capital expenditures of five agencies and the revenue targets for two agencies. The passage followed the presentation of the report by the House Committee on Finance and Appropriation, chaired by Hon. Musefiu Lamidi, who moved the motion for its adoption. His motion was seconded by Hon. Wahab Haruna and supported unanimously by the House…

Read More

President Bola Tinubu has extended warm Christmas greetings to Nigerians, urging them to embrace the spirit of love, peace, and unity embodied in the celebration of Jesus Christ’s birth. In his heartfelt message, the president called on citizens to find solace in faith and renew their commitment to building a prosperous Nigeria. Tinubu reflected on the profound meaning of Christmas, describing it as a reminder of divine prophecy fulfilled and the triumph of light over darkness. “Christmas symbolises hope, love, and unity, resonating deeply with people of all faiths,” he said, emphasising the significance of the season in inspiring collective…

Read More

The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has initiated enforcement action against five airlines (two international and three domestic operators) for various violations of Part 19 of the NCAA regulations. The violations include the non-payment of refunds within the stipulated time frame, non-responsiveness to the NCAA’s directives, missing luggage, manhandled luggage, short-landed baggage, delayed and cancelled flights, amongst others. A spokesman for NCAA, Michael Achimugu, disclosed this to journalists at the corporate headquarters of the Authority in Abuja on Tuesday. He said that although airlines are not always responsible for flight disruptions, NCAA regulations stipulate actions that airlines must take during…

Read More

The body responsible for sanctioning errant lawyers and maintain sanity and discipline among lawyers, the Legal Practitioners Disciplinary Committee, (LPDC), has adduced reasons why it cannot revoke the licence that allows the embattled, controversial author and activist, Dele Farotimi, to practice law in Nigeria. The legal body held that it lacked the requisite jurisdiction to delve into issues relating to the allegation of criminal defamation and professional misconduct, which were brought against Farotimi by the law firm of Chief Afe Babalola, Emmanuel Chambers. The law firm had, in its petition, urged the LPDC to debar Farotimi by removing his name…

Read More

78-year-old former president of the United States, Bill Clinton was discharged from the hospital early Tuesday, his office said, a day after he was admitted with a fever in the latest in a series of health scares for the veteran Democrat. His deputy chief of staff, Angel Urena said on social media platform X, “President Clinton was discharged earlier today after being treated for the flu. “He and his family are deeply grateful for the exceptional care provided by the team at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital and are touched by the kind messages and well wishes he received.” Clinton was…

Read More

Legal luminary, and founder of Afe Babalola University Ado-Ekiti (ABUAD), Aare Afe Babalola, SAN, has been honoured with the 2024 Best Nigerian Patriot Award. ABUAD’s Head of Corporate Affairs, Tunde Olofintila, announced over the weekend that the recognition, conferred by the Association of United Nations Ambassadors for Peace, was communicated in a letter dated December 11, 2024. This prestigious award comes amid controversy surrounding alleged defamation of the esteemed nonagenarian by human rights activist and lawyer, Dele Farotimi in his book, Nigeria and its Criminal Justice System. The letter co-signed on behalf of the association by the Ambassadors – Chairman,…

Read More

The Federal Government has warned Nigerians and politicians against politicising and linking stampedes that occurred during food distributions in Oyo, Anambra and Abuja to President Bola Tinubu’s economic reforms. Making the call, the minister Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, in a statement signed by his media Senior Special Assistant, Rabiu Ibrahim on Monday, said the tragedies underscored the importance of ensuring proper crowd management during such charitable activities, especially in the festive season. The minister, however, sympathised with the families of those who lost their lives in the tragic incidents which claimed over 70 lives, including about…

Read More

The Nigeria Police Force has denied killing protesters during the #EndBadGovernance protests as claimed by Amnesty International in its report titled “Bloody August: Nigeria Government’s Violent Crackdown on #EndBadGovernance Protests.” The Force, through their spokesperson, Muyiwa Adejobi, on Sunday, described the claims as false, misleading, and damaging to the image of the Force. Amnesty International, in the report released on November 28, 2024, accused the police of extrajudicial killings during the August 1-10 #hunger protests, claiming that at least 24 people were killed in six northern states. Refuting these claims, however, the police have asserted that after a thorough investigations…

Read More

The federal government has made a passionate plea to state governors who have not implemented the newly approved minimum wage of N70,000 to do so as the special New Year package for workers across various sectors. Nkeiruka Onyejeocha, the Minister of State for Labour and Employment, disclosed this in Abuja during weekend while fielding questions from journalists at a press briefing. The minister said the expectation was that the state governors would take advantage of the New Year to grant their workers the minimum wage package, adding that hopefully 2025 would bring industrial peace, devoid of frequent strikes. Onyejeocha also…

Read More

The Federal Government, through the Minister of Works, David Umahi, has unveiled plans to begin constructing train tracks on Section I of the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway in 2025. The details of the announcement were published in a statement on the ministry’s official website on Saturday. Umahi also spoke during an inspection of Sections I and II of the project, which are located within Lagos and being handled by Hitech Construction Company Ltd, on Friday. The minister said, “The President has given very serious attention to road infrastructure. Don’t forget that this Coastal Highway and, of course, the four Legacy Projects…

Read More