Prosecutors in Morocco have asked a court to impose prison sentences of up to two years on 18 Senegalese football supporters arrested after last month’s Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) final in Rabat, according to an AFP journalist present at the hearing.
Arguing for the stiffest penalties in some cases, the prosecution told the court that the accused had “deliberately sought to disrupt the proper conduct of the match”. It further alleged that the group “committed acts of violence broadcast live on television”. The defendants, however, rejected the accusations and denied any involvement in wrongdoing.
The supporters have remained in pre-trial detention since January 18, the day of the tense AFCON final between Morocco and Senegal. The match ended 1-0 in favour of Senegal on Moroccan soil.
Tensions escalated in the closing stages of the game when a number of Senegalese fans reportedly attempted to invade the pitch. Play was also suspended for nearly 20 minutes after Senegal’s players protested a late penalty decision awarded to Morocco.
Television footage showed some spectators throwing objects onto the field, including a chair, during the chaotic scenes.
According to prosecutors, the case against the defendants relies on surveillance footage captured inside the stadium and medical reports detailing injuries sustained by security personnel and stadium stewards.
Authorities said the unrest caused material damage to the stadium, estimated at more than 4 million Moroccan dirhams (about $430,000).
Morocco is preparing to co-host the 2030 FIFA World Cup with Spain and Portugal, adding further scrutiny to issues of stadium security and crowd control.

