Werder Bremen have abandoned plans for a summer trip to the United States, citing a mix of sporting, financial and political considerations.
The Bundesliga side had been arranging friendlies in Minneapolis and Detroit in May as part of preparations ahead of the 2026 World Cup, which will be jointly hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico. However, the club confirmed on Saturday that the tour will no longer go ahead.
A club spokesperson told AFP that the decision was taken for “sporting, economic and political reasons”, stressing that the situation in Minneapolis weighed heavily in their thinking.
“Playing in a city where there is unrest and people have been shot does not fit with our values,” the spokesperson said.
The move follows heightened tensions in Minneapolis, where thousands of federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents have reportedly been deployed in recent weeks under an immigration enforcement drive introduced by US President Donald Trump. In January, two American citizens, Renee Good and Alex Pretti, were shot dead amid large-scale protests linked to ICE’s presence in the city.
Beyond security concerns, the club also pointed to tighter US entry regulations as a complicating factor. New requirements include scrutiny of travellers’ social media activity, creating uncertainty around squad availability.
“It was unclear to us which players would be able to enter the USA at all due to the stricter entry requirements,” the spokesperson added.
On the pitch, Bremen’s precarious league position has further complicated planning. The four-time German champions, who last lifted the Bundesliga title in 2004, are currently 16th in the table — a relegation play-off spot — raising doubts about logistical and financial commitments tied to an overseas tour. According to the club, the risk of relegation combined with “certain economic risks” made the trip increasingly difficult to justify.
Pre-season tours to the United States have become common for European clubs seeking competitive preparation and global exposure, but Bremen have long cultivated a reputation for taking principled stances on social issues.
In 2024, the club joined several other German sides in quitting the social media platform X — formerly Twitter — arguing that it had turned into a space for “hate speech, hatred against minorities, far-right posts, and conspiracy theories” under owner Elon Musk.
Head coach Daniel Thioune also addressed another controversy on Friday, speaking about the racism allegation involving Vinicius Junior. The Real Madrid forward claimed he was racially abused by Benfica midfielder Gianluca Prestianni during his side’s 1-0 victory in Lisbon on Tuesday, alleging he was called a “monkey” during an on-field exchange.
Bremen’s decision underscores the complex mix of politics, player welfare and sporting priorities increasingly shaping modern football beyond the pitch.

